The Perfectly Soft Sicilian Almonds Cookies will melt in your mouth and you will want to eat one after the other. The recipe is simple: eggs whites, almonds, and sugar. The perfect combination of the ingredients guarantees a one of kind texture you will fall in love with!
The recipes of Soft Sicilian Almonds Cookies
Follow the recipe step by step in order to avoid too soft or too chewy texture. As always, look for the highest quality ingredients: the best almonds for those treats are from Avola, Sicily.
In Sicily there is no festivity meal without almonds cookies at the end. Originally, the nuns were preparing them with a secret recipe inside their convent and they offered the sweets only to the richest families.
Furthermore, the Perfectly Soft Sicilian Almonds Cookies can last for a few days, at room temperature or in small bags or containers. You can prepare them in advance and taste them with your afternoon tea, as a dessert, or with a good dessert wine. Moreover, if you wrap them nicely, they become the perfect treat for your friends with a sweet tooth!
- 2 2/3/ cups (250 g) ground Avola almonds or almonds flour
- 2 1/2 cups (250 g) powdered sugar
- 2 eggs whites at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 orange zest* (if you like it)
- powdered sugar to dust
- candied cherries, red and green (if you want it)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix together the ground almonds, the powdered sugar, the orange zest, the honey.
- Add the eggs whites firmly whipped and mix slowly until it smooths.
- With you wet hands, shape small balls (a walnut size) and cover them with powdered sugar.
- Put the cookies in a baking pan covered with parchment paper. Be careful to distance the cookies at least 1 inch apart. If you like it, put a candied cherry on top.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until they are golden brown.
- Cool down the cookies on a cooling rack.
- You can keep them for a few days in a sealed container.
You can add some spices to the cookies: orange or lemon zest, or cardamom, or aniseed. Recipe suggested by Ricuperos, a small Sicilian family farm where we buy Avola almonds!
The Avola almonds
The Avola almonds are also known as the “health treasure chest”. We should all open the almonds treasure chest everyday to enhance and maintain our wellness and health!
Many are the varieties in the world, but three are the Sicilian ones:
- Romana (o Corrente d’Avola)
Those almond trees bloom during winter time, that’s the reason why they grow well close by the sea or in the hill side, where the cold is rare. The Siracusa and Ragusa regions are the sunniest of Italy.
Almonds are a good source of unsaturated fat, antioxidants, and fibers. They are good to maintain low cholesterol, and against hypertension, high levels of blood sugar, and obesity.
Moreover, almond milk helps the lactose intolerances and celiacs: it is a good alternative to cow milk or soy milk, thanks to easy to digest sugars. The almonds are also gluten free.
The almonds are a good food during pregnancy and menopause. They prevent the osteoporosis and anemia because of its high concentration of calcium and iron.
Also the athletes benefit from the almonds nutrients: phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin E and B2 that favor physical activity.
As you can see, there is plenty of reasons to open everyday the almonds treasure chest to enhance and maintain your health and wellness!
Let’s stay in touch!
We would love hearing from you!
If you have any questions, please contact us here or comment below.
Martina and Elisa