The Fluffiest Ricotta and Strawberries Cake is the perfect image of the spring time. The cake is simple and seasonal.
Moreover, the recipe doesn’t call for any added fat. The fluffy texture comes from the ricotta cheese.
The Fluffiest Ricotta and Strawberries Cake makes your Monday mornings a little bit sweeter or it can be a perfect snack in the afternoon or an after dinner treat.
As always, look for high quality ingredients. Every time you make a simple recipe, the difference between a tasteful result and an ok result comes from the quality.
In Italy, there are different species of strawberries, everyone with a different and peculiar taste and look.
- 2 cups (250 g) whole purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (300 g) ricotta cheese well drained
- 2/3 cups (120 g) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 lb (250 gr) strawberries
- preheat the oven to 350F
- let the ricotta drain well for at least 20 minutes
- wash throughly the strawberries and chop them in pieces
- beat the eggs whites until stiff
- in a bowl mixer beat the ricotta with the sugar, add the eggs, the lemon juice, the flour until the dough smooths
- mix by hand the dough and the whites, really slowly
- add the strawberries and mix
- bake for 40 minutes, and serve warm or cold
One strawberry but different varieties
Did you know that the strawberry – Fragaria x ananassa is the botanical name – is not a fruit? Technically, it is an inflorescence. The real fruits are the small black “seeds” that cover the strawberry. It is not true that strawberries ripens only during spring time. There are varieties of strawberry that grow up in different periods of the year.
Indeed, the Belrubi is a variety that makes big fruits, with a dark red color, and contains a high quantity fo sugar. The Madeleine is the most common in Italy, and it’s a precocious variety.
The Tortona Strawberry grows up in a small Region of Piedmont, it ripens only for 10 days in June and it’s highly perishable, it’s just a little bit bigger than a raspberry.
Moreover, the Annablanca is the white strawberry, with red spots, really sweet and juicy.
So, be curious and go to the closest farmers market or grocery store and ask for the different variety you can buy. Try out and make a perfect Fluffiest Ricotta and Strawberries Cake with this simple and seasonal recipe!
Last but not least, do not forget to let us know what you discovered about the different and many varieties of Fragaria x ananassa!
Let’s stay in touch!
We would love hearing from you!
If you have any questions, please contact us here or comment below.
Martina and Elisa