The Savoy Cabbage and Potatoes Purée Soup is the perfect recipe to pamper your palate during a cozy night, while looking at the foliage in your backyard. Just three simple ingredients: savoy cabbage, potatoes, and leeks, and to satisfy your taste!
The savoy cabbage is a tasteful and versatile ingredient in the kitchen, worth to be discovered. You can find it at the farmers market from October to April.
Look for the freshest cabbage, the one with crunchy and dark green color.
What is the difference between a purée soup and a cream soup?
Let’s try to understand together the difference between a purée soup and a cream soup. Sometimes the words are used in the same way, but the recipes are slightly different.
The Purée Soups are made out of only 2 or 3 vegetables. The traditional combinations are potatoes-leeks, potatoes-zucchini squash, carrots-potatoes, just to mention a few of them.
The addition of a roux made of butter and flour is the final amalgamation process that gives softness and bonds all the flavors together. You can also add heavy cream for an authentic savory taste.
The Cream Soups, instead, are composed of a vegetable, meat or fish broth or consommé, combined with the vegetable of your choice and potatoes (or a rice cream as a thicken).
Our Savoy Cabbage and Potatoes Soup can be prepared both as a Purée Soup and Cream Soup to your taste.
- 1 lbs savoy cabbage
- 1/2 lbs potatoes
- 1 leak
- 1 stick celery
- 2 slices rye bread to make croutons
- 3 Tbsp EVO
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream (if you chose to make a cream instead of a purée)
- Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste
- Peel the potatoes and wash properly all the vegetables; chop the potatoes, the celery stick, and slice the leak and the cabbage
- Pour the EVO on a non-stick pan, add the vegetables. Keep a few cabbage leaves on a side (try to pick the ones that are softer)
- Let the vegetables cook over medium heat for a few minutes, then cover with lukewarm water (3 cups). Let them cook to low heat and cover with a lid until the potatoes are soft, more or less 30 minutes
- Pour the vegetables in a mixer until you get a smooth mixture
- Add salt to taste, and cook the mixture for a few more minutes
- If you want to make a cream soup, add 1 Tbsp of heavy cream
- Cut the slices of bread in small cubes to make croutons
- Finely chop the softer cabbage leaves, put them in a non-stick pan, and cook with a sprinkle of EVO for 1 minute, together with the small cubes of rye bread
- Serve the soup with EVO on top, pepper to taste, the cabbage leaves with the bread, and grated parmesan cheese
- If you like, add some crispy cabbage chip.
Crispy Cabbage Chips
You can add more flavor to this recipe by preparing some Crispy Cabbage Chips.
Wash properly the cabbage leaves, sprinkle them with extra virgin olive oil on a baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350F and let the leaves cook for 7/8 minutes. Let them cool down and add some salt to taste.
The chips will become crispier when they cool down completely. They will not be as crispy ad the Dino Kale Chips, but we are sure you will like them as much!
Let’s stay in touch!
We would love hearing from you!
If you have any questions, please contact us here or comment below.
Martina and Elisa